When you think of birds the last thing that will probably spring to mind will be ‘pests’. However, birds can create real problems at home or at work, if they decide to take up nest in your building. In fact, some birds are actually classified as pests because of the damage they can cause in and around your home. If you’re unsure whether you have a pest issue at home or work then our handy guide is here to help. Here are the different types of pest control issues you may face from birds.
Sparrows may seem small and cute, but they can cause huge amounts of damage
Know Your Birds
It is important to understand which types of birds may cause pest control issues in your home or office, so that you know what to keep an eye out for. Below are some of the most common birds which can cause problems in your property:
- Sparrows – This species of bird is classified as a pest, due to the damage they can cause (especially to packaged goods). Although tiny, they can cause huge amounts of issues for property owners. Keep your eyes peeled for an influx of sparrows in or around your building.
- Pigeons – One of the most common species of bird that causes pest control problems, especially as they also carry disease. Most people can spot a pigeon from a mile off, so you should have no issues recognising these birds in or around your property.
- Other birds – Pretty much any bird can become a pest if it causes damage to your property, or decides to set up nest. You don’t have to be a bird expert in order to report a pest control issue, so keep an eye out for an influx of birds near your property.
A bird’s nest on your property may clog drains and lead to insect infestation
Problems Birds Can Cause
Now you know which birds to look out for, it’s important to recognise the tell-tale signs which may hint at a problem. Birds can cause a great deal of damage to properties, which is why it is important to be vigilant. Below we have listed some of the most common issues you may face from birds:
- Bird mess – If you have a pest control issue with birds then you’re likely to see a lot of bird mess in or around your property. If you have birds near your business then this can ruin stock or materials, along with cars in the car park. Birds around your home can mess on garden furniture, doors, windows and anywhere else they see fit.
- Nesting on buildings – Although the initial idea of birds nesting on your home may seem sweet, it can actually cause all manner of problems. For example, a bird nest may clog drains and lead to an infestation of insects. Keep an eye out for nests on your property.
- Spreading disease – Unfortunately, many birds carry disease and this can obviously cause big problems for those living in your property. Pest control is needed if you want to prevent the possible spread of disease from birds.
- Damage – Some birds can cause a great deal of damage to your property, if you let them stay. This may include destroying gardens or crops in search of food, or even destroying packaged goods if they can get hold of them.
- Aggressive behaviour – Believe it or not, many people actually experience aggressive behaviour from some birds! This is most likely to be seen during nesting season, so from March to September.
- Noise – Lastly, birds can create a real noise disturbance if you find yourself with a pest control issue. The cooing of pigeons or the squawk of gulls can become a real nuisance for those inside your property.
As you can see, birds can wreak real havoc if you let them set up home in or around your property. If you find that you have pest control issues with birds then ensure you have them properly removed, along with a suitable bird proofing system put in place to prevent them from coming back. Contact us today to discuss your options.